Production

Production

In the production stage of creating the documentary I had to use many bits of technology and software in able to both capture video and audio effectively. All of the devices shown below are the said bits of technology and software:

iPhone 11

First off I decided to use my iPhone 11 to record myself  to give the documentary a visual of me for when I am talking. when recording I set it to record in 60fps and 1080p. Recording in 60fps (which is short for frames per second) allows in post the motion of everything in frame to be much smoother and makes it more appealing. Although the standard for film is 24 frames per second I believed through testing out all 24 frames per second, 30 frames per second and 60 frames per second that 60 frames per second with the easiest on the eyes and the best for the documentary. Having being shot in 1080p aka full HD resolution (which is short for 1920x1080) the video quality, which is the standard for films and entertainment as anything lower such as 720p and lower are considered to be of a lesser quality, I can effectively convey a nice looking visual as the amount of pixels being used is higher. I could have chosen to record in 4k (which is short for 4096x2160) but I decided against it as on many visual displays it wouldn't be visible as most displays don't allow for the use of 4k and only 1080p. Also as it would take up much more space on the hard drive which would be a problem for the post production stage of the project so I decided to opt towards to recording in a native 1080p. 

Tripod

To help achieve the angle of the medium close up (which was planned in the storyboards for the documentary) at my desk decided to use a tripod which helped hold my iPhone 11 in place. The tripod I had purchased had not came with an iPhone holder so I had to be resourceful and use a piece of a iPhone stabiliser used for stabilisation when filming moving shots in films and I attached it to the top of the tripod simply as it had a shoe which simply attached perfectly.

FiFine Microphone
The microphone I used to record audio for the documentary was the FiFine K669B with a microphone arm and a pop filter. The reason I decided to use this microphone is so I don't pick up background noise and also with this microphone I get overall a better quality as the microphone is closer to my mouth and I am able to use a pop filter which allows the microphone to not experience any plosives which is in basic terms is a rush of air that cam come from speaking that effects the microphone and makes the microphones capsule overload and creates a popping sound when listening back in post. 

Irion Webcam Software
Irion webcam software software that are used so I could catch a visual of me speaking to the camera and also take advantage of my FiFine microphones better sound quality due to it’s price and the ability to move it directly in front of my mouth much like a podcast presenter would. I had downloaded this onto my computer and how it works is I link my phone to the software through Wi-Fi and I used OBS to capture all of the footage and record the visual of me talking to the camera.
OBS Broadcaster Software
OBS Studio is A well-known recording software that is used usually for recording the display of it computers monitor screen this is usually used to record a video games and search but right now I have used it to capture the visual of me talking from the other piece of software Irion Webcam software of cost allowed me to after I finished recording with this software directly drag all the footage recorded into Adobe premiere pro in post production.

This video above is is an unedited version of me talking to the camera using my FiFine microphone, iPhone 11, OBS studio and Irion Webcam all at once to create the visual of me talking to the camera and capturing higher quality audio at the same time.


Comments